Fruit & Veggies – More Matters Month
Fruits and veggies are good for you. We all know it. But eating them can be a challenge.
During Fruits & Veggies, More Matters! Month, we celebrate these sweet, crunchy, stemmy, seedy foods that make our bodies stronger.
Fruits & veggies help by lowering your risk for:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Some types of cancer
- High blood pressure
Making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies is half the battle.
Here’s some tips for building them into your day – whether you’re at home or at work:
- Buy them! It seems simple, but adding them to your shopping list is the first step.
- Try a new fruit or veggie each week to keep it interesting.
- Cut up fruits and veggies to make them easy finger-food.
- Try a low-fat dip to go with them.
- Make sure half your plate is made up of fruits and veggies.
At work or on-the-town:
- Pack fruits and veggies as a snack.
- Didn’t pack anything? Stop at a grocery store instead of the gas station. Many grocery stores have fruit and salad bars or cups of precut fruit and veggies. Even a bag of baby carrots will work!
- Getting a sandwich or a burger? Load up on veggies.
- Check the menu – many fast food places offer salads and fruit cups.
- At a restaurant, make sure that you choose a side of fruit and another side as a vegetable.